Dr. Sudha Sudhir Arlikatti
Associate Professor, BCM & IEM
Dr. Sudha Arlikatti has a PhD in Urban and Regional Science with an emphasis in Environmental Planning and Hazards Management from Texas A&M University, College Station (USA), a Master’s in City Planning from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (India) and a Bachelor’s in Architecture from the University of Pune (India). She has over a decade of private sector experience as an architectural and planning consultant in the Sultanate of Oman and India. For the past 18 years, Dr. Arlikatti has been teaching and conducting disaster research in various international settings. She joined the Faculty of Resilience at Rabdan Academy, in January 2016 as an Associate Professor in their flagship Bachelor of Science program in Business Continuity Management and Integrated Emergency Management, established in 2013. Prior to moving to the UAE she was a faculty member in the Emergency Administration and Planning program at the University of North Texas, USA for nine years, five of which she served as the Program Coordinator.
Dr. Sudha’ s research interests include disaster warnings and risk communication in multiethnic communities, protective action decision-making, post-disaster sheltering and housing recovery, organizational and community resiliency to floods, tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, health hazards and terrorism, and sustainable land use planning in national and international settings. She is an expert in survey design and field research methods and has received funding from the US National Science Foundation, the Texas Department of State Health Services, Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity, and intramural funds from academic institutions for her research endeavors.
She has published 28 peer reviewed articles in notable environmental and disaster research focused journals including, Disasters, Disaster Prevention and Management, Environment and Behavior, Environmental Management, Journal of Housing and Built Environment, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Journal of Emergency Management, Natural Hazards Review, Natural Hazards and Risk Analysis. She has also authored or co-authored 12 book chapters, two books and presented at over 75 international conferences or symposia of repute. Dr. Sudha’ s most recent works examine traditional risk communication strategies and resilience networks in Thailand and India; communication and organizational response challenges to the Ebola crisis in the USA; factors influencing health risk communication and behavior at the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia; and earthquake protective behaviors in China.
She is currently serving as the Vice President (2015-2018) of the Research Committee on the Sociology of Disasters RC39 with the International Sociological Association.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Urban and Regional Science (Ph.D.) Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA. (2001-2006)
Dissertation title: “Modeling Household Adoption of Earthquake Hazard Adjustments – A Longitudinal Survey of Southern California and Western Washington Residents”.
- Master of City Planning (M.C.P.) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, West Bengal, India (1997-1998).
Thesis title: “Recreation and Tourism Planning for Kochi Metropolitan Region: Focus on the Backwaters”.
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.). B.K.P.S. College of Architecture, Pune University, Maharashtra, India (1984-1989).
- GP1230 Introduction to Strategic Risk Management
- GP2220 Introduction to Emergency Response
- GP3140 Tactical Emergency Management
- GP3220 Work Placement Secondment
- GP4120 Research and Study Skills
- GP325 Working with the Public and Media in Emergencies
- GP404 Preparing to Deal with Mass Fatalities
- IEM217 Comparative Approaches to Emergency Management
- IEM223 Introduction to Crowd and Public Safety
- IEM315 Creating Emergency Plans at the National Level
- SEC490 Project in SSDEC Management
- International Disasters and Development
- Special Needs Populations in Disasters
- Risk Communication and Protective Action Behavior
- Disaster Sheltering and Housing Recovery
- Field Survey Research and Analytical Methods
- Organizational Resilience in Disasters
- Emergency Management Organizations and Practices
- Earthquake/ Tsunami/ Hurricane/ Flood Response Management
- Sustainable Land use Planning
- Disaster Drills and Exercises
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES * Student
- Lindell, M.K., Arlikatti, S. & Huang, S.K. (2018). Immediate Behavioral Response to the June 17, 2013 Flash Floods in Uttarakhand, North India. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. Available online at, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2018.11.011.
- Andrew S.A., Arlikatti, S., Chatterjee, V.* & Ismayilov, O.* (2018). Ebola Crisis Response in the USA: Communication Management and SOPs. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. Published online May 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2018.04.028.
- Taibah, H., Arlikatti, S. & Andrew, S.A. (2018). Risk Communication for Religious Crowds: Preferences of Hajj Pilgrims. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 27(1): 102-114. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-09-2017-0215.
- Arlikatti, S., Maghelal, P., Agnimitra, N. & Chatterjee, V.* (2018). Should I Stay or Should I Go? Mitigation Strategies for Flash Flooding in India. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 27:48-56. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.09.019.
- Jennings, E. A., Arlikatti, S., Andrew, S.A. & KyungWoo, K.* (2017): Adoption of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) by Local Emergency Management Agencies in the United States. International Review of Public Administration, 22(2): 193-210. DOI: 10.1080/12294659.2017.1323481.
- Andrew, S.A., Arlikatti, S., Siebeneck, L., Pongponrat, K. & Kraiwuth, J.* (2016). Sources of Organizational Resiliency during the Thailand Floods of 2011: A Test of Bonding and Bridging Hypotheses. Disasters, 40 (1): 65-84.
- Jennings, E.*, Arlikatti, S. & Andrew, S.A. (2015). What Influences the Acceptance of Emergency Management Decision Support Software? An Empirical Study of County Emergency Management Officials. Journal of Emergency Management, 13(6): 539-551.
- Taibah, H.* & Arlikatti, S. (2015). Evolving Crowd Management Strategies at Pilgrimage Sites: A Case Study of ‘Hajj’ in Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters,33(2): 188-212.
- Jennings, E.*, Arlikatti, S. & Andrew, S.A. (2015). Determinants of Emergency Management Decision Support Software Technology: An Empirical Analysis of Social Influence in Technology Adoption. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management. ISSN (Online) 1547-7355, ISSN (Print) 2194-6361, (DOI) 10.1515/jhsem-2014-0079, June 2015.
- Siebeneck, L., Arlikatti, S. & Andrew, S.A. (2015). Using Provincial Baseline Indicators to Model Geographic Variations of Disaster Resilience in Thailand. Natural Hazards 79 (2): 955-975. DOI:10.1007/s11069-015-1886-4.
- Andrew, S. A., Short, J. E. *, Jung, K. * & Arlikatti, S. (2015). Intergovernmental Cooperation in the Provision of Public Safety: Monitoring Mechanisms Embedded in Interlocal Agreements. Public Administration Review, 75: 401–410. (DOI) 10.1111/puar.12312.
- Arlikatti, S., Andrew, S., Kendra, J. & Prater, C.S. (2014). Temporary Sheltering, Psychological Stress Symptoms, and Perceptions of Recovery. Natural Hazards Review, 13(3) 10.1061/(ASCE) NH. 1527-6996.0000166, 04014028.
- Maghelal, P., Andrew, S.A., Arlikatti, S. & Jang, Hee Soun. (2014). Assessing Blight and its Economic Impacts: A Case Study of Dallas, TX. In G. Passerini & C.A. Brebbia (Eds.) Environmental Impact II. Transactions on Ecology and the Environment Vol. 181, (pp. 187-197). WIT Press.
- Arlikatti, S., Taibah, H.* & Andrew, S.A. (2014). How Do You Warn Them If They Speak Only Spanish? Challenges for Organizations in Communicating Risk to Colonias Residents in Texas, USA. Disaster Prevention and Management, 23(5): 533-550.
- Andrew, S., Arlikatti, & Saitgalina, M.* (2013). Managing the Impact of Disaster. In the Special Issue: Disaster and Crisis Management. Public Management Review, 15(3): 383-401.
- Andrew, S., Arlikatti, S., Long, L.* & Kendra, J. (2013).The Effect of Housing Assistance Arrangements on Household Recovery: An Empirical Test of Donor-assisted and Owner-driven Approaches. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 28: 17-34. (DOI) 10.1007/s10901-012-9266-9.
- Arlikatti, S., Bezboruah, K. & Long, L.* (2012). Role of Voluntary Sector Organizations in Posttsunami Relief: Compensatory or Complementary? Journal of Social Development Issues, 34 (3): 64-80.
- Arlikatti, S., Kendra, J. & Clark, N.* (2012). Challenges for Multi-sector Organizations in Tracking and Sheltering Registered Sex Offenders in Disasters. Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 9 (1): 1547-7355, DOI: 10.1515/1547-7355.1842.
- Arlikatti, S. & Andrew, S. (2012). Housing Design and Long-term Recovery Processes in the Aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. Natural Hazards Review, 13(1): 34-44. DOI: 10.1061/ (ASCE) NH.1527-6996.0000062.
- Dicke, L., Arlikatti, S. & Holt, A.*(2010). Traveling the Pedagogical Airline: A Passport to New Horizons in Teaching. Journal of Nonprofit Education and Leadership, 1(1): 11-29.
- Arlikatti, S., Peacock, W.G., Prater, C.S., Grover, H., & Sekar, A.S.G. (2010). Assessing the Impact of the Indian Ocean Tsunami on Households: The Modified Domestic Assets Approach. Disasters, 34(3):705-731.
- Arlikatti, S., Pulido, A.M.*, Slater, H.*, & Kwarteng, A*. (2010). Role of Spanish Language Media in Promoting Disaster Resiliency: Public Service Announcements and 2-1-1 Program. The Journal of Spanish Language Media, 3: 78-89.
- Benavides, A. & Arlikatti, S. (2010). Spanish Language Media and the Emergency Alert System: An Examination of What is Being Done to Alert the Non-English Speaking Public. The Journal of Spanish Language Media, 3: 41-56.
- Lindell, M., Arlikatti, S., & Prater, C. (2009). Why People Do What They Do to Protect Against Earthquake Risk: Perceptions of Hazard Adjustments and Their Attributes. Risk Analysis, 29 (8):1072-1088.
- Arlikatti, S., Lindell, M. & Prater, C. (2007). Perceived Stakeholder Role Relationships and Adoption of Seismic Hazard Adjustments. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, 25(3): 218-256.
- Prater, C., Peacock, W.G, Arlikatti, S., & Grover, H. (2006). Social Capacity in Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu after the December 2004 Great Sumatra Earthquake and Tsunami. Earthquake Spectra, 22(S3), 715S-729S.
- Arlikatti, S., Lindell, M., Prater, C. & Zhang, Y. (2006). Risk Area Accuracy and Hurricane Evacuation Expectations of Coastal Residents. Environment and Behavior, 38(2), 226-247.
- Brody, S., Highfield, W., Arlikatti, S., Bierling, D., Ismailova, R., Lee, L., & Butzler, R. (2004). Conflict on the Coast: Using Geographic Information Systems to Map Potential Environmental Disputes in Matagorda Bay, TX. Environmental Management, 34: 11-25.
- Arlikatti, S. (2003). Can Western Styles of Dispute Resolution be applied to an Indian Context? American Planning Association’s Online Student Publication, The New Planner.
- Ekici S., Ekici, A., McEntire, D.A., Ward, R.H. & Arlikatti, S. (Eds.). (2009). Building Terrorism Resistant Communities: Together Against Terrorism NATO Science for Peace and Security Series – E. Human and Societal Dynamics, Vol.55.
- Arlikatti, S. (2009). Adoption of Earthquake Hazard Adjustments by Households in USA. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing AG & Co. KG. ISBN # 978-3-639-17413-7.
PEER REVIEWED BOOK CHAPTERS * Student
- Sudha Arlikatti and Simon Andrew. (2017). Chapter 12: Disaster Housing Recovery in Rural India: Lessons from 12 Years of Post-Tsunami Housing Efforts. In Alka Sapat & Ann-Margaret Esnard (Eds.). Coming Home after Disaster: Multiple Dimensions of Housing Recovery (pp.175-190). Taylor and Francis Group, CRC Press.
- Hao-Che Wu, Sudha Arlikatti, Andrew J. Prelog and Clayton Wukich (2016). Chapter 4: Household Response to Flash Flooding in the United States and India: A Comparative Study of the 2013 Colorado and Uttarakhand Disasters. In Michèle Companion & Miriam S. Chaiken (Eds.) Responses to Disasters and Climate Change: Understanding Vulnerability and Fostering Resilience (pp.37-48). Taylor and Francis Group, CRC Press.
- Sudha Arlikatti (2016). Chapter 15: Counter Terrorism and Human Rights: Missing Perspectives from Muslim Children and Youth in the USA. In Ekici, S., Akdoğan, H., Ragab, E., Ekici, A. & Warnes, R. (Eds.). Countering Terrorist Recruitment in the Context of Armed Counter-Terrorism Operations (pp. 67-81), NATO Science for Peace and Security Series – E: Human and Societal Dynamics, V.125, IOS Press, The Netherlands. 978-1-61499-612-5 (print) | 978-1-61499-613-2 (online).
- Sudha Arlikatti, James Kendra and Eliot Jennings (2015). Corporate Social Responsibility in Enhancing Disaster Education. In M. Hamner, S. Stovall, D. Taha, & S. Brahimi (Eds.) Emergency Management and Disaster Response Utilizing Public-Private Partnerships (pp. 183-194). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-8159-0.ch010.
- Andrew, S.A. & Arlikatti, S. (2014). Public, Private and Nonprofit Partnerships in Disaster Housing Recovery: An Examination of Housing Development Approaches in India (Chapter 20). In Naim Kapucu & Kuotsai Tom Liou (Eds.). Disasters and Development: Global Issues and Cases (pp. 351-370). Springer International Publishing Switzerland.
- Lovekamp, W.E. & Arlikatti, S. (2013). Social Change and Empowerment. In S.K. Thomas, Alice Fothergill, Brenda D. Phillips, William E. Lovekamp (Eds.). Social Vulnerability to Disasters (pp.447-472). Second edition. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group Boca Raton, FL.
- Khunwishit, S.* & Arlikatti, S. (2012). Demographic Changes in the United States of America: Challenges for Disaster Management (Chapter 15). In Hoque, Nazrul; Swanson, David A. (Eds.). Opportunities and Challenges for Applied Demography in the 21st Century. Applied Demography Series, Vol. 2. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Arlikatti, S. & Levin, M. (2011). Enhancing Counter-Terrorism Strategies Through Visual Storytelling Techniques and Community-Empowered Ethnographies. In Ekici S. (Ed.). Counter Terrorism in Diverse Communities (pp. 232-245). NATO Science for Peace and Security Series – E. Human and Societal Dynamics, Vol.90.
- Wachira, D.* & Arlikatti, S. (2010). Challenges of Effective E-Governance: Problems of Transparency, Infrastructure and Connectivity in Kenya. In Christopher G. Reddick (Ed.) Comparative E-Government: An Examination of E-Government Across Countries (pp. 259-274). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Arlikatti, S., Wachira, D.*, & Gregory, S.* (2010). Community Policing in India: Transparency through E-Governance. Section III: Case Studies, Chapter XXIV. In Christopher Reddick (Ed.). Citizens and E-Government: Evaluating Policy and Management (pp. 435-448). IGI Global Publishing.
- Arlikatti, S. (2009).Terrorism Watch or Natural Hazard Mitigation, Why the Difference? The Context of Community Policing in India. In Ekici S., Ekici, A., McEntire, D.A., Ward, R.H. & Arlikatti, S. (Eds.). Building Terrorism Resistant Communities: Together Against Terrorism (pp. 142-154). NATO Science for Peace and Security Series – E. Human and Societal Dynamics, Vol.55.
- Arikatti, S., Lindell, M., & Prater, S. (2007). Building Trust among Community Stakeholders. In Huseyin Durmaz, Bilal Sevinc, Ahmet Sait Yayla, Siddik Ekici (Eds.). Understanding and Responding to Terrorism (pp. 383-391). NATO Security through Science Series, E: Human and Societal Dynamics, Volume 19.
PUBLISHED REPORTS *With Student
- Arlikatti, S., Andrew S.A, & Siebeneck, L. (2014). Assessing Resiliency among Rural, Suburban, and Urban Communities Following the Thailand Floods of 2011 (Annual Report – National Science Foundation).
- Maghelal, P., Andrew, S.A., Arlikatti S. & Jang, H. (2013). From Blight to Light (Final Report to the Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity).
- Arlikatti, S. (2012). The Forgotten Aspects of Evacuation: Mass Care Processing and Care by Host Communities, Department of Public Administration, University of North Texas, Denton, TX (Collaborative Proposal Annual Report – National Science Foundation).
- Ruggiere, P., Dreyer, K., Kraemer, B., Arlikatti, S., Clower, T., Gibson, H., & Seman, M.(2011). First Responder Feasibility Study Final Report, University of North Texas, Denton, TX (Final Report – Texas Department of State Health Services).
- Arlikatti, S., Garcia, P.* & Gregory, S.*(2009). Public Health Information in Texas Colonias: An Investigation into Popular Spanish Language Media Channels, Department of Public Administration, University of North Texas, Denton, TX (Final Report – Center for Spanish Language Media).
- Arlikatti, S. & Pulido, A.M.* (2008). Critical Role of Spanish Language Media and Public Service Announcements: The 2-1-1 Program in Building Disaster Resilient Communities. Department of Public Administration, University of North Texas, Denton, TX (Final Report – Center for Spanish Language Media).
- Prater, C., Peacock, W., Arlikatti, S., & Grover, H. (2007). Social Vulnerability Mapping and GIS in Tsunami Impact Analysis – Nagapattinam District, India. Hazard Reduction & Recovery Center, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (Final Report – National Science Foundation Small Grant for Exploratory Research).
- Lindell, M.K., Prater, C.S., Lu, J.C., Arlikatti, S., Zhang, Y., & Kang, J.E. (2004). Hurricane Lili Hazard Reduction and Recovery Center, Texas A&M University: College Station, TX (Annual Report – National Science Foundation).
PAPERS IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
- Arlikatti, S., Andrew, S.A., Maghelal, P. & Jang, HS. (2015). Post Disaster Blight Fight: Demonstrating the Merit of Creating a Composite Blight Index Map for Your City. U.S. – Iran Symposium on Resilient Cities Symposium, Irvine, California, 16-18 June 2014 (pp.49-60). University of Arizona, National Academy of Sciences and Sharif University.
- Alagaraja, M., & Arlikatti, S. (2004). The Why’s of Bhopal Revisited. Academy of Human Resource Development’s International Conference, Austin, TX.
- Arlikatti, S. (2001). Adaptive Re-use of Old Monumental Buildings. Workshop on Conservation of the Built Environment, Regional Engineering College Calicut, India.
- Arlikatti, S., & Prabhu, B.S. (2000). Shape Grammar of Greek Temples. Proceedings of the International Seminar/ Workshop, ‘Vastuvidya’, Department of Architecture and Planning, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.