Dr. Petros Violakis
Assistant Professor, Homeland Security Program
Dr. Petros Violakis is an Assistant Professor at Rabdan Academy, Research Partner at the Jean Monnet Center of Excellence of National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Research partner of Intelligence
& Cyber Security Lab and of Strategic Communications and Mass Media Lab of Piraeus University and Research Director at the Center for International Strategic Analyses (KEDISA) (Greece). He holds a PhD degree in Politics from Exeter University (UK). His research is published (2020) as a chapter titled “NATO- EU Relations: Is a greater EU self-defense autonomy, possible and useful?” in “Defence Integration of the European Union”, Hellenic Institute for Strategic Studies (HELISS) and (2018) as an academic book (monograph), entitled “Europeanisation and the Transformation of EU Security Policy: Post-Cold War Developments in the Common Security and Defence Policy” by Routledge. He has also published extensively in the areas of EU Defence Policy, the Libyan Crisis, Turkey’s Neo-Ottoman Identity etc.
BSc in Computer Science – University of Hertfordshire
MSc in International Relations University of Hertfordshire
PhD degree in Politics from Exeter University (UK)
- Violakis, P. & Stathakopoulos, (2020), “Pax Ottomanica: The old “new” order of Turkey”, Hellenic Institute of Strategic Studies, 1 February 2020, (http://www.elisme.gr/en/2013-01-06-18-39-21/item/pax-ottomanica- 2)
- Violakis, P. & Stathakopoulos, (2020), “Pax Ottomanica: Back to the Future,” Phileleftheros, 26 January 2020, (https://www.philenews.com/eidiseis/politiki/article/864119/pax-ottomanica-epistrofi-sto-parelthon )
- Violakis, P. (2019) “ Erdogan’s Turkey questions NATO’s prestige,” Centre For International Strategic Analysis, 12 November 2019, (https://kedigr/%CE%B7-
- Violakis, P. & Stathakopoulos, (2018) “ISIS- Daesh (شعاد dāʿish ) remains more dangerous within the walls,” 25 November 2018, (https://www.huffingtonpost.gr/entry/o-isis-daesh-dsh-daish-paramenei-pio- epikindenos-entos-ton-teichon_gr_5bf80a39e4b0771fb6b84e46?fbclid=IwAR0TKhw11PK4J- n_WxA551h3h3NTnx_AWQlMU8VMO10h0bETIEJBbq-R7jU )
- Violakis, P. (2018), “ Will Erdogan’s Turkey be the occasion for the rapid realization of the Euro-Army;” 18 February 2018, (http://mignatiocom/2018/02/tha-gini-i-tourkia-i-aformi-gia-tin-grigori-ilopiisi-tou- evrostratou/ )
- Violakis, P. (2017), “European Defence, Terrorism and Migration,” 14 August 2017, (https://www.liberal.gr/amyna–diplomatia/europaiki-amuna-tromokratia-kai-metanasteutiko/158948 )
- Violakis, P. (2017), “Reverse Countdown for Turkey” Centre For International Strategic Analysis, 14 March 2019,
- Violakis, P. (2016), “The reversing of a 200year course: Turkey from Europeanisation back to Neo- Ottomanism,” 18 December 2016, 18
- Violakis, P. (2016), “Turkey: A fragile communication democracy,” 24 July 2016, p. 10
- Violakis, P. (2008) ‘Self Organizing Networks follow RFID networks’, web magazine “ANAXARCHOS”, Issue 10, Thrace “Democritus” University, Civil Engineer Department, February.
- Violakis, P. & Moustakis, (2007) ‘Examination of European Security and Defence Policy: Obstacles & Options’, Provlimatismoi No 38 – Hellenic Institute of Strategic Studies, February, pp. 15-17.
- Violakis, P. (2018) Academic book (monograph) entitled “Europeanisation and the Transformation of EU Security Policy: Post-Cold War Developments in the Common Security and Defence Policy” Informa UK Limited trading as Routledge, an imprint of Taylor and Francis. (http://www.routledgcom/9781138295155 )
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Violakis, P. (Accepted – to be published February 2020) “NATO-EU Relations: Is a greater EU self-defense autonomy, possible and useful?” in “Defence Integration of the European Union”, Hellenic Institute for Strategic Studies (HELISS).
- Violakis, P. (Accepted – to be published 2020) “European integration in the field of National Defense and Security: The case of Greece” in “Greek Foreign Policy”, Institute of International Economic Relatio
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Violakis, P. and Plakoudas, S. (February 2020) “Will the Libya – Turkey relationship trigger conflict in the Eastern Mediterranean?” in Foreign Affairs: The Hellenic Edition, February – March 2020, p. 21-33.
- Violakis, P. (Accepted pending revisions) ‘Turkey’s Europeanisation: Building an Anachronism’, Journal of European Integration.
- Violakis, P. (2019) ‘The De-Europeanization of Turkey: Migration and Security Issues in the Eastern Mediterranean’, International and European Politics, vol. 46-47, March-October 201
- Violakis, P. (May, 2019) ‘Europeanization of National Defense and Security: the Greek Case’, Journal of Modern Greek Studies, vol 37, n 1, pp. 61-98.
- Violakis, P. (2015) ‘Is there a democratic deficit in CFSP decision making?’, in Gerodimos, (ed.) First thoughts on the 25 January 2015 election in Greece – GPSG Pamphlet No 4, Bournemouth: Greek Politics Specialist Group, Political Studies Association member.
- Semertzidis, T., Koutsia, A., Dimitropoulos, K., Grammalidis, N., Kantidakis, A., Georgouleas, K. and Violakis,
- P. (2008) ‘Traffic Monitoring using Multiple Cameras, Homographies and Multi-Hypothesis Tracking’, 10th International Conference on Applications of Advanced Technologies in Transportation, Athe
- Moustakis, and Violakis, P. (2008) ‘European Security and Defence Policy Deceleration: An Assessment of the ESDP Strategy’, European Security, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 421-433.
- Moustakis, and Violakis, P. (2006) An Examination of the European Security and Defence Policy: Obstacles
& Options, Dartmouth: Defence Academy of the United Kingdom